Our Responsible Tourism Statement
We believe in protecting the beautiful environment of Oamaru, North Otago, New Zealand and want to ensure that your children or grandchildren can visit and enjoy it too.
To this end, we’ve developed an environmental plan and welcome your support for this initiative.
Most of our quests want to help, so we invite you to join with us by enjoying our service and understanding our environmental policy.
- We offer a towel and linen change agreement which ensures you’re helping the environment by reducing energy and water use.
- We buy local produce where possible to reduce transport emissions.
- Low-energy light bulbs are installed in at least 95% of our premises.
- Giving you the opportunity to recycle your rubbish.
- Reducing the amount of waste going to landfill by separating it for recycling.
- Not printing unnecessary emails and printing double-sided.
- Ensuring we’ve installed devices in taps and shower heads to reduce water volume without compromising on quality, dual-flush toilets.
- Using only water-efficient washing machine, biodegradable laundry powder.
- Using biodegradable or non-toxic cleaning products and rubbish bags.
- Installed Soap dispensers to cut down on waste and wrappings.
- Regularly tuning our vehicles to help reduce carbon emissions.
- Sending batteries and fluorescent bulbs for recycling/safe disposal.
- Planting trees and shrubs which are native to this area in order to encourage bird life and reduce the need for irrigation.
- Donating supplementary products or furniture to local charities/schools.
- Offering employment/career opportunities to local residents first, if possible.
- Training our staff to commit to our environmental practices.
- We and our staff always endeavour to turn off lights or equipment when not needed or when we leave the room, you may wish to do the same.
- We and our staff turn off taps when we are not directly using water; you are welcome to do the same.
Thank you for your Support
Carol & John